Saturday, July 7, 2007

Windscreen Results


Before heading out today, I took my time along the San Diego River, where it pours out into the Pacific Ocean. It's a marsh land corraled by Seaworld Drive to the North and Sports Arena Blvd to the South. In the early morning, seabirds glide over the tidal waters as they move up the river until they find a spot of muddy bank or sand bar to flap and jump on. This picture is late morning, I don't know the tidal schedules today, but the river is only a thin blue ribbon making its way west. Tall march grasses provide cover for countless birds and others. But I should discuss my test.


Traveling south on the 163 from clairemont to mission valley, and then west onto interstate 8. The 163 south is relatively flat and then it drops into a valley. On the flatter part of the 163, my Et4 accelerated normally up to it's "plateau" speed, about 55 (indicated). After that, speed rises smoothly up to 65, acceleration slowly continued past 70mph. Once I hit the drop down into mission valley, speed increased until I felt what might be the rev limiter (someplace between 70 and 75). Maybe it isn't a rev limiter, but it felt and sounded like the motor stopped pulling until speed dropped just under 70, then the motor began pulling again.

Moving down into the valley, I had to brake for traffic.

The 163 ramp to the 8 involves a grade, I'm not sure how much. Traffic required that I slow to about 60 (indicated). The Et4 held that speed up the short grade and onto the 8 West. Speed climbed to 65+ and stayed there. An onshore head-wind held me at that speed. I exited onto Rosecrans street, satisfied with the run.

At the stoplight, a humungous pickup dually truck pulled up next to me and an older gentleman started shouting at me. I couldn't hear so flipped up my visor. He was smiling, "What size motor is that thing!", he yelled over the noise of traffic. I smiled back and said,"It's a 150 Vespa!" His smile broadened and he shook his head. The truck made a right turn on the red light (legal in California), and I could see the driver having an animated discussion with his passenger.

My light changed green. I was glad to be riding a Vespa.

No comments: