Monday, June 11, 2007

Scooter Commuter



Its been a couple of weeks now that I purchased a previously loved Vespa ET4. It had only 2009 miles on it when I drove it home. The ET4 now has 2200+ miles. It's easy to park (just about anywhere), and moving it around a little on the stand is not much trouble at all. My daughter loves riding with me, especially after I installed passenger footpegs. Before the footpegs, she had to twist her feet inward to reach the floorboard. It was uncomfortable for longer trips. The footpegs allow her to sit comfortably with her feet firmly in place without any extra effort.

My girlfriend is about 5 feet 7 inches so has no trouble reaching the floorboard. But the footpegs also make for a more comfortable ride for her... and I don't impale my ankles on her cowboy boots anymore.

My commute involves about 6 or 7 miles of Interstate 5 north, from Seaworld Dr. to Gilman Dr. From there, I take my daughter to school, about 3 miles or so of secondary roads. And then I scoot down Genessee Ave. to John Muir School where I work as a secondary science teacher.

Fortunately, California allows for lane splitting at stop lights and when traffic is stopped or very slow (that's my understanding). This makes heavy traffic a breeze on the Vespa. No long waiting for several minutes at lights. Once on the on-ramp, I accelerate up to about 50mph, keeping up with traffic, and merge into the slower right lane. This particular stretch of highway is typically slow workday mornings, moving about 45 - 55 mph. I often need to slow down in the right lane. After a few miles, the speed picks up to about 60mph in the right lane. The Vespa ET4 keeps up with traffic.

Granted, cars in the left lanes move 65-70mph and faster, and the Vespa is "giving its all" at 60 - 65mph. Wind resistance becomes the biggest factor on the highway, and a mid-sized windscreen may add a bit more acceleration and top end speed by providing more aerodynamics. And another 5mph may very likely make my short commute a little more comfortable.

But the highway is not where I intend to ride the Vespa the vast majority of the time. Secondary roads and urban streets is where this baby really shines. Out accelerating most cars from the light, there isn't a street, avenue, or boulevard where the Vespa doesn't dominate. It provides quick, fuel-efficient, easy to park, fun filled transportation to just about anywhere that I want to go.

When school's out this summer, I may take a road trip on the Vespa. It will take planning and patience, and I may be forced to stop and smell the roses (or the coffee).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dad, nice Vespa

A said...

Can't wait for the trip. We're still here getting organized too--may see you on the road eventually. Anne

Vince Stevens said...

Anne,

Since I need to take the CSET for Earth Science on the 21st, I won't likely strike out until after that. I'm hoping for the 22nd, but need to be back August 1 or so. That gives me 10 days, 3 for getting somewhere, 3 for enjoying it, and 3 for getting back, plus 1 for emergencies. On the motorscooter, 3 days will get me about 1000 miles. I'm not sure where your place falls within that, but it may be doable.

A Canada trip would require 1500 mile range, 4 to 5 days one way, about 10 total travel time. I'd like at least 15 days for that one. Likely, that will need to wait until next summer.

The move is all finished up, for the most part, and the extra time lets me move at my own pace in tying up some loose ends.