Monday, June 4, 2007

Sunday Morning Outing


Yesterday, I woke up early thinking about taking a ride on the Vespa ET4. I have only had it for a few days, so don't know the handling or speed limitations yet. I dressed quietly so as not to wake my girlfriend. Outside, the air was cool and moist with a light hazey fog. San Diego mornings close to the beach often start with a light haze that quickly lifts and burns off. It was quiet with very little traffic.. perfect time and conditions to try out the Et4 on I5.

Visor flipped up to feel cool salt air on my face, I twisted the throttle and scootered down Newport Avenue along the Ocean Beach pier, and stopped for a moment. A few tourists walked barefoot in the cold sand, jeans rolled up to their knees. A child carried a yellow toy bucket, likely filled with shell fragments and smooth rocks. The morning sun already burned through the remaining marine haze, only a few gatherings of cotton ball cummulous clouds remained in the sky, framing the OB pier above while waves crashed below. Another beautiful morning, a twist of the wrist, and I was off.

I love the low gurgling growl of the 4-stroke Et4 motor; subtle, yet characteristically Italian. So far, it seems to have plenty of torque for a majority of roads.

Crossing the San Diego River early on a quiet Sunday morning is almost mystical. The blue-gray sky reflected off the sweet smelling river water while long-legged cranes fished along the marshy banks. In the evening, just before the sun goes down, you can see fish jumping out of the water catching bugs. This morning, the river surface was lightly rippled as a gentle breeze of salty air moved from sea to shore. I don't know why I don't do this more often. Like most people, I get preoccupied with work, relationships, life... perhaps the Vespa will carry me away from all the stresses in life... if only for a little while.

The I5 on-ramp approached and I felt a tinge of apprehension. Riding across the overpass, I saw few cars. Even better, they seemed to be moving at a reasonable rate. Speeding down the ramp, my right wrist rolls on everything the Vespa has to offer. Indicated speed increases quickly to 55mph and continues up to 60.

The Vespa feels solid. I expected the small tires to dance around in the rain grooves but I don't feel any of that. My speed increases to an indicated 65mph or so. I stay in the right lane, finding that I need to slow down a bit to accommodate slower moving traffic in front of me. The ET4 motor carries me at a respectable 65mph for several miles before the highway grade increases slightly and I slow to about 60mph. I can see that a long, steep grade would likely cause me to slow quite a bit more. Fortunately, my commute consits of a relatively flat stretch of highway for about 6 miles.

The Vespa Et4 is adaquate for short highway stretches, but I wouldn't feel comfortable traveling long distances on the interstate highways. As read in many other forums, the rider becomes a "sail", catching wind and reducing top speed. I'm sure that with an average sized windscreen, the Vespa will pick up another 5mph or so. But with throttle wide open, there isn't anything left. In spite of that, for my purposes the ET4 is suitable for the short on-off highway stretches that I need to travel.

I've read several blogs and forum posting about upgrading the motor and exhaust, tuning the carb, etc. Results seem spotty. Some folks boast of huge increases in speed and/or acceleration. Others make, what I think, are more honest evaluations; increase of maybe 5mph top end, a bit more acceleration, louder pipes... all at the cost of cylinder kits and pipes and the sacrifice of reliability. Perhaps it is worth it for the garage mechanic who has the expertise, patience, tools, and space to work in. But I'm an urban guy in a moderately sized city who would rather pay someone else to maintain my vehicles.. I haven't the tools, expertise, or even a garage to work in.

I'm happy with my Vespa ET4 performance. It takes me where I want to go at a reasonable speed and in superior style. It's a gorgeous machine, outclassing the bulky, heavy, lumbering motorcycles of my youth. If I want speed, I'll buy that Triumph Bonneville T100 or the latest and greatest Japanese super bike.

1 comment:

Steve Williams said...

Your highway experience with the ET4 mirrors mine with the LX150. Patience and planning allowed me to negotiate pretty much anything.

The scooter is far more at home on the secondary roads though. So am I come to think of it...

Steve Williams
Scooter in the Sticks